Monday, July 21, 2008

No real news.

It's hard to come up with something intelligent and clever to say. This is the last week of classes, and I am increasingly focused on my countdown of days to my liberation from Astrakhan.

Also, our Writing test today completely drained my brain power. We had to remember the forms for official requests, complaints, and formal excuses and thank-you notes. Ugh. I also had to write a resume for homework. Apparently the Russian word "fantastichni" just means invented, not fantastical. I wrote a Superhero resume. Oh well. I hope Ludmila Anatoliivna enjoys it. Maybe she'll give me bonus points for creativity...or just take pity on the dumb American.

Saturday, the Troika and a few others...Maria, Christine, and Jennifer, headed to the center of town to bum around and waste our precious free time. We found a couple of really cool stores, and I managed to spend my entire stipend on presents (for friends, family, and myself). I love church stores in Russia. I pretty much love all Orthodox jewelry...ornate and gorgeous.

I am currently under a book ban. We are only allowed 20 kilos of luggage for domestic flights in Russia (all checked luggage). My books purchased here in Russia weigh 10 kilos. Plus I have a kilo of tea. I'm really praying to the nice-ticket-agent fairy.

Sunday I spent 3 hours and the Sharlau and did literally nothing else (I half-way did my homework, which is an accomplishment for me on this trip).

The major flaw of our program in general is that we spend way too much time together as a giant group of Americans. We are all starting to get on each others' nerves. Some more than others.

Tomorrow is a scheduled trip to a sanatoria (the Russian version of a spa). I am not going. I will instead enjoy a fabulously rare half-day...at the Sharlau.

Love you all...I need ideas to write about!!!!

--shelley

No comments: